Friday, May 1, 2009

Maibaum!


What in the world would get me out of a warm, cozy bed at 5:40 am? May Day basket delivery, that's what!


My family used to make and deliver baskets on the first of May every year. We'd labor over the production the night before, cut lilacs from the yard and place them carefully in the baskets, and then awake early on the 1st to drive around town and leave the baskets on doorsteps or door handles. It was so much fun to sneak around and leave a little gift for friends and neighbors. It was a little more difficult this morning due to the ultra-sensitive motion detector lights that line the castle's courtyard. I think I pulled it off without waking anyone, though.


Germans celebrate May Day with Witches Night the night before and a day off work on the 1st. On April 30, each town puts a tall tree on top of a May pole (of some sort), and then guards it against troublemakers. People also go around stealing flower pots, garden furniture, and anything else that isn't nailed down. They usually just deposit it elsewhere in the village so you have to hunt for it later. All in good fun!

This morning on my run I saw many people out enjoying the sunny weather, and a few remnants of last night: torn newspapers floating in the wind, sidewalk chalk marks all over, and what looked to be foam from shaving cream. It looked like a few someones had a fun night out!

Happy May Day!

2 comments:

M said...

I love that you've carried on the tradition. Good times!

dmm said...

Amy and I just talked about this and she posted something on Jo's facebook page. Good memories....your family ROCKS!