Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Best Gift Ever (Although Sparkly Jewelry is Always Nice)

I bet the following experience tops whatever you did last Thursday: I got to witness a labor and delivery. So there!

I've long been interested in midwifery, and when I first began college I wanted to be pre-med and then continue to med school to be an OBGYN. For various reasons, I decided that route wasn't for me, and I got the ole BA in Sociology (which I loved, so no regrets or anything). After college graduation, I was still very interested in being a midwife, and I toured the University of Michigan's nursing school and nearly put in an application there to begin classes. Then, for other various reasons, I didn't. Instead, I randomly moved to Baltimore and then went on to get my MSW in Missouri. Again, I loved my course of study and feel that it was a great fit for me, so no regrets. All that to say that I was thisclose to being some form of birthing coach/clinical delivery person.

And then, fate! I found out a few weeks ago that a woman that I know here, Megan, is a doula and also does birth education classes, prenatal massage and nutrition consults. I immediately hounded her to find out if she teaches doula classes - she doesn't- but not more than 48 hours later I was buried under a pile of her books, figuring out distance classes to be a doula, and learning all about labor and delivery. Engrossed. Loving it. And then, after she so graciously gave of her time and resources while she was 8 months pregnant, an even better thing happened: she and her husband invited me to be a part of their impending birth! I was over the moon- what a gift from them!

Last Thursday, Megan began laboring at a German hospital and I rushed from subbing to get there as fast as I could (I was probably even going over the speed limit, which doesn't happen very often for me). The entire experience was amazing, and Megan was phenomenal. I still get teary-eyed when I think of what happened. The hospital itself was great, too. She labored as she wanted, taking plenty of walks outside and moving around as she wanted. The delivery rooms are wo-manned by midwives, and the OBGYN just kinda showed up when the big event happened. There were many other Americans there, too, and a patient liaison who was able to translate (although Megan speaks German, so she didn't need that service). If I was anywhere near being ready for kids, I think I would talk N into doing it soon so I could deliver at this particular hospital!

A healthy, beautiful baby boy was born to Megan and her family before 10pm, and I can't wait to see him this week. Thanks, Megan- and congrats! I can't wait for more doula-ing experiences, but I don't think anything will top this first one.

2 comments:

subLyme said...

Yeah! Can't wait to hear more about the experience....I think you will be an amazing doula!

dmm said...

You are awesome Linds! I love hearing about your experiences, and I can't wait to see pictures of Megan's baby boy, congrats to your friend!