Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hello, Heidelberg!

Of all the places we've been so far in Germany, Heidelberg just recently jumped to the top of the list. It's so beautiful! Far enough from Bruch (2 hours) to seem like a getaway, but close enough to leave at noon (after sleeping in and going for a run) and still have a full afternoon of looking around. Perfect for me!

I've wanted to explore H-berg for some time because it's home to the oldest university in Germany (est. 1386), and as a rule, college towns suit me pretty well. Boulder, Madison, Iowa City...H-berg was teeming with young people, which is pretty different from village life around here. It also might have had something to do with the beautiful weather...I'm pretty sure everyone within a 20 mile radius was outside enjoying a cafe or a park (including us!).

Our hotel was located right at the start of the Hauptstrasse, or outdoor shopping street. The street, lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants, is the longest one of its kind in Germany (1.6 km) and took us awhile to stroll down. At the far end is the Old Bridge, and there are fabulous views of the schloss (castle/palace) from every corner.

We met a great little German family on Sunday when we ate lunch at a falafel place. Simon and his wife, Agnes, were busy keeping tabs on their young daughter Marlena, but we managed to squeeze in an interesting conversation with them. Simon is a business economist and Agnes, a chemist. They said that there are only 150,000 residents in the city, but 3 million tourists visit each year (most of them Japanese). I'm glad we weren't there in the middle of summer! I think traveling is going to get a little crowded here for a few months...Simon was very interested in our impressions of Germany, and was surprised to hear how much we love it. He would very much like to visit the US, especially LA or Las Vegas (don't worry, we warned him against Vegas). We also talked about population decline, socialized medicine, and how much it costs to raise a child. I love random conversations with strangers! He was convinced that N is a CIA operative/James Bond trainee...

The schloss itself sits high above the city (300 ft) with a footpath leading to it. It took over 400 years to build, beginning in the 13th century. The place was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War and again by the French in the 1800s. Later, locals stole many of the red sandstones used in the castle's construction, but luckily Count Charles de Graimberg stepped in to protect it. The gardens that surround the schloss are beautiful, with acres and acres of green space. We definitely took advantage of the soft grass and shady trees on Sunday afternoon. Apparently, the gardens were once considered as beautiful and amazing as the Egyptian pyramids and the other wonders. The biggest draw last weekend weren't the plants or the ruins, though. There were hundreds of rather large tadpoles in the two fountains/pools at the far end of the garden, and I think many of them went home with kids who visited!

2 comments:

Deidre said...

I loved H-berg! I haven't travelled extensively in Germany, but I have visited friends there and Heidelberg was beautiful.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit! :)

dmm said...

For some reason I found it funny that Simon thought Nick must be in the CIA, not sure why but I think it's because I can imagine your facial expressions! :) Miss you lady!