We had just taken the rental, which was a miniature silver European model, on some rocky roads that, in truth, the car shouldn't have survived. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time expecting to puncture some fundamental piece of the engine on a sharp rock, but N seemed to think he had things under control. We were trying to get close enough to walk to The Most Amazing Beach Ever, which we eventually did. But, man! It was a harrowing journey. After a day in the sun, and a two hour trip back up those rocky roads, we settled in for my first lesson. It was outside a small lodge and there were donkeys, pigs, and chickens running around the area and across the road. I did my best to listen to N in one ear while keeping an eye out for the mama pig and her little pigglets. I'm not sure how much of the lesson I retained, but none of those animals were hit.
Today I think I did much better. I am trying to learn because I figure it's a good skill to have, and I'm going to need to take care of the car while N's on vacation. I am known for popping the clutch and having to restart the thing, but I actually drove on some roads with other human occupants and didn't crash, cause a crash, or stall in the middle of the traffic circle.
N's a very good teacher. Patient, complimentary, willing to explain things a million times until I finally grasp the concept a little. And we're still talking to one another!

1 comment:
Now, if you two can just engage in a wallpapering project together and both survive, you're definitely looking at celebrating your 80th anniversary!
Post a Comment