Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Not About Italy (Yet)

So, today I went to the grocery store to replenish the apartment with the essentials (milk, eggs, and brownies). On the way into the store, the teeniest tiniest mother approached me and asked me to help- she had just locked her keys in the car and her 17 month old daughter was in there, not quite buckled into her car seat and beginning to cry. I've locked myself out plenty of times, which was frustrating. But to have your baby inside? This woman held herself together remarkably well considering.

Anyway, I called the police and asked them to send a patrol over to help us. It took them at least 20 minutes to get there, but in the meantime there were about eight people that stopped what they were doing to stand outside in the freezing cold to help. A few people who worked at the store, an off duty police officer, a few others shoppers. My main job was to keep calling the police to bug them. Right as the cops pulled up and the woman was beginning to get hysterical, the store manager popped the lock using a clothes hanger. As soon as he did, the mother started crying and, after asking if she needed anything and telling her to wait a few minutes before driving, we all just disbursed. Crisis solved.

But really, it was nice to know that if (when) I'm in a similar situation, there will be a few kind-hearted strangers there to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deja vu! I did the same thing to Jo when she was a munchkin and we had a Pinto (yes, there was a car called the Pinto). We were at a Denny's in San Diego (at least the weather was warm), she was buckled in all the way (no playing with ignition switches), and one of the Denny's guys popped the lock in seconds with a coat hanger.Don't know where he got his training but I was mighty glad he had!