Sunday, December 7, 2008

We said Bah Humbug

Today all of N's coworkers went to a Christmas tree farm in Oberkail to cut trees, but because we're Grinches we stayed home. That's not the real reason- we're just going to be gone for two weeks over Xmas and we don't have a tree stand and we went for a run instead. But I just saw my neighbors trimming the trunk of theirs outside and now I wish we'd gone. And they have stockings hung and lights aglow and everything. I love Christmastime, but besides an ornament from Prague hung on one of our kitchen cabinets, you wouldn't know from our house that it's the season. Shoot.

In other Christmas news, I made about 160 peanut clusters this evening. Tuesday night is the infamous "Cookie Exchange." Everyone bakes a different kind of holiday goody and bags a few for everyone else there. You end up leaving with about 25 different kinds of cookies and not being able to fit into your jeans the next week.

I picked peanut clusters because that's what my grandma always made for Christmas, and they're my dad's favorite. And they only have three ingredients and don't require baking. My mom makes super good chocolate chip cookies, and she butters bread real good (a legitimate Mom-skill, I believe), but that was pretty much the extent of the baking in our house (until my sister discovered pies). Now, Betty on the other hand, she. is. a. baker. I can't believe my dad made it out of her house without weighing 400 pounds. I wish some of that self-restraint had been passed down...

Anyway, I miss my family this time of year. I think I'll drown my sorrows in clusters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

P-nut clusters are LETHAL! I can NOT have them in this house. They're like popcorn-it's WAY too easy to just keep tossing them in and before you know it, you've consumed the whole batch to the tune of 5 trillion calories. Then again, chocolate's good for the old ticker.