Like I said yesterday, it was a great trip. Joe and Robin, who we've been friends with for awhile, are great traveling companions. Especially when Joe is tired and hungry and doesn't want to shop anymore. He's real fun then. Robin is a Tourist Extraordinaire, and she doesn't even charge a fee. We're so lucky! The only time it stinks is when Joe, Robin, and N start talking about work and all I can contribute is, "Um...I like to fly, too."
So. Thursday afternoon we set out to do a little exploring before the sun went down. On the way from the airport to our hotel, N tried to get some language lessons from our cabbie. It went something like this:
N: "So, sir, how do you say 'thank you' in Czech?"
Cabbie: "Smetchejcksysiis jjjiesl ya."
N: "Excuse me?"
Cabbie: "Dye ku ya."
N: "How do you say 'very much?' "
Cabbie: "Dye ku ya dlshgghgilelles."
N: "Dye ku ya glghghjj ii zzjeleh?"
Cabbie: "No. You've just said something very bad."
N: "Oh. Sorry. Do you speak Russian, too?"
Cabbie: "No."
N: "Again, very sorry."
And for the rest of the weekend I practiced saying "Dye ku ya" at every chance. I got a lot of laughs, but I think the Czech people appreciated my attempts.
The next day, Robin, Joe, N and I decided to walk to the Jewish Quarter and see several synagogues since they would be closed on Saturday. On the way, we again walked through the Old Town square. Below is an old stone bell on the corner of a house (named the House at the Stone Bell, oddly enough) which indicates that the building used to be a town palace. In the background is the Church of Our Lady before Tyn, from the fourteenth century.
Prague has had a Jewish neighborhood for centuries, and we saw five synagogues, a cemetary, and a ceremonial hall. As in other countries, Prague's Jews have been scapegoats for ages, quartered in specific areas, and persecuted over and over. In the late nineteenth century, the neighborhood was completely demolished; only a few buildings are original, including the some of the synagogues and the cemetary.
Above and below are shots of the Old Jewish Cemetary, from 1478. For over 300 years, it was the only place Jews were allowed to be buried. It's still basically the same size it was all those years ago; people have been buried on top of one another, up to 12 deep. Gravestones are falling on one another and are scattered everywhere. The last person buried here was in the late eighteenth century. Above is a tombstone cemented into one of the walls. It was probably removed from another cemetary and placed there not so long ago.
The last stop on our Friday agenda was the Old New Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in Europe and one of the oldest examples of Gothic architecture in Prague. We barely got inside before it closed for the Sabbath. It's said that Rabbi Low, who was the head of the Talmudic School in Prague in the 1500s, created Golem here and later buried the pieces of Golem within the synagogue's rafters.
On Saturday, we walked over to the other side of the river to see the castle, a rather large compound of churches, palaces, torture chambers, etc. The guards, while impressive, were nowhere near as still or steely- eyed as the ones in London. Oh, well.

The New Town was filled with people, and it was almost too much. I think week day travel is where it's at. I cannot imagine what these European cities will be like in the summer. I think I'll stay in my little village from May to September.
We wanted to watch the lighting of the Christmas tree at the market on Saturday night, but so did everyone within a 30 mile radius. After listening to some German carolers for 45 minutes, with no sign of a lighting ceremony in sight, we retreated to a wine bar and managed to polish off three bottles of red and a vat of fondue. We eventually saw the tree - lit- when the crowd had thinned out. We were lit as well.

2 comments:
WOW! I think Prague just leaped ahead of Bali on my list of Places I Must Get to Before There's No Stock Market Left! (and I LOVE the new grograin ribbon look! Very
50's!)
beautiful!
Post a Comment