It's almost six thirty on a Friday night and my husband is still at work. But instead of watching a movie or going out together, I've decided to eat a few (dozen) cookies and think about what I've learned at school this week while I've been hanging out with fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. A top five, if you will:
1. There is not one time in your adult life that you will need to know the abiotic factors of the eight biomes. Who cares what the soil is like in the tiaga?
2. If the sixth-grade-Lindsay was placed with the sixth graders at Spang Middle School today, it'd be a real toss up if I'd survive. I think my tapered jeans would have fit in really well, though. I don't know if it's the Euro influence or what, but all the kids wear what we now refer to as "the skinny jean." Some pull it off better than others, and a lot of the fellas wear them, too.
3. Most kids have no idea that interrupting someone during the middle of a lesson to ask something like, "Can I get a tissue?" or "Can I turn in my homework now?" is a little distracting.
4. Kissing is still a gross concept to sixth graders. What a relief!
5. Some teachers don't know what the hell they're talking about. I think I knew this back when, but I sure know it now. One teacher today misspelled the word "straight" on the board. And did a poor job of teaching the lesson THAT WAS WRITTEN STEP BY STEP IN THE TEXTBOOK! I nearly cried. Instead, I taught three students myself.
I think it's time to snuggle into the couch and read until N gets home.
Let’s Help This Reader Find a Slouchy Blazer!
15 hours ago

2 comments:
Sweetie-
Welcome to the wonderful world of education. Like all professions, there are good eggs & rotten eggs, some that are a bit cracked and some that are hard-boiled. Anyway, enough with the egg analogies. The munchkins were lucky to have YOU on their side today!
fantastic. while i'm here, i'm going to live vicariously through your teaching experiences! love it!
Post a Comment