I live in a castle! I've been moving in for a few days, and tomorrow all our stuff from Phoenix arrives. I'm a little nervous about housing some of it- Germans don't have closets in their homes (technically, they would count as a room and landlords could charge more rent), so it'll be tough to find a place for all that crap that we used to shove in the back of one in order to avoid. Under the bed?
Here's the tour- Before shots:
This is the view from our front door, looking down at the gate. The road and our parking area are just outside this gate.

This is the corner of the living room/kitchen. The door on the right leads to the kitchen; the door on the left goes to the main hallway and the front door.

The kitchen, newly installed for us. German tenants travel with their own cabinets and kitchen appliances, so the landlords had to put one in for us. The counter top is a really pretty wood (oak?) and we have tons of drawers.


Below is one of the beams in the great room.

More living room- the rock walls are original and old. as. hell. The windows look out onto the courtyard and the manor house.

Main room. We'll probably combine this into a dining room, living room, and office.

Working stove in the living room.

Below is the master bedroom.

This is the closet area in our bedroom. We'll put some sort of shelves in there and hopefully trade out the blinds for some beautiful curtains.


Master bath, with a bathtub, shower, and two sinks (finally! I've been dreaming of this day). I think the floor is heated, too, though I haven't quite figured out how to make the rest of the place warm-ish.



Below is the guest bathroom with space for our washer/dryer.



This is the guest room. It's straight back from the main hallway. We're hoping to buy a queen bed for this space so our guests (hurry up and visit us!) don't have to sleep in a twin.


Below is the view of the place when entering the front door. N just bought a runner in Turkey, so that'll find a home in this long hallway.

There's a decent-sized foyer, and I'm not sure what we'll put there. Probably a second fridge (free loaner from and office at N's work) since the German fridge is t-i-n-y.


There's a small half-bath right off the foyer, too. I kinda wish that was a closet instead...oh, well.

And finally, another view of the gate from inside the courtyard. Bernie uses the bike to get around the property. You're welcome to come see us anytime!
7 comments:
Place is sick.
Oh my gosh-- B-E-A-UTIFUL!
There are NO words for this place other than "I'm coming t visit this summer and then NEVER leaving"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh my gosh, you live in a castle. how very disney of you! but much cooler!
This place is pretty awesome. I don't think we can compete with that!
I love it! OMG. It's a little slice of castlerific heaven. Wish I was there and we would christen it with a whole bunch of champagne.
Beautiful! I hope you get to stay for a while....
Love,
Grace
Post a Comment