Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Today at noon I went to a 9/11 Rememberance service at the chapel. I didn't know anyone there, but I needed some way to sit for a few minutes and think about how things happened seven years ago. I was up early, before class (Introduction to Feminist Theory), and I was out on the track, running. A DJ announced that one of the Twin Towers had been struck but no one had any details and everyone was confused, so it didn't seem like a big deal. Yet.

Then at breakfast, the other plane hit. Everyone was gathered around the tvs, in the dining hall and in the student center and in the dorm. Before class, the other students and I sat in the lobby of the Women's Studies building talking about who knew whom in NYC. And we talked about things for a few minutes in class before we were dismissed. I found out that my sister was fine, and I spoke with my parents briefly, and then I watched tv for most of the day, from what I can remember.

The next day was my friend Nicole's birthday, and her parents were in town. We all went out for a nice dinner, because what can you do? Sitting around doesn't help. At the time, being with loved ones and celebrating someone's birthday was absolutely the right thing to do.

Today at the service, one of the speakers told a story of his friend, Vince, who was a pilot for United back in 2001. He used to be in the Air Force, but got out to be a civilian pilot. He was supposed to be flying the United plane that was hijacked and crashed into a tower. He and his buddy, a pilot who died that day, had switched schedules so Vince could go to a doctor's appointment with his wife, who was pregnant. After 9/11, Vince re-upped in the AF, and when he got to his new office, he hung one small frame on the wall. It was a print-out of the schedule that had him listed as one of the pilots for United 175, and a small plaque to honor those who died on 9/11.

Most of you know that I'm not a religious person, and I don't especially believe in God. But after any tragedy like 9/11, the one phrase that sticks in my mind is: There but for the grace of God go I.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Sweetie. The events of that day will be etched in our minds, and hearts, forever.

Laura said...

Beautiful Lindsay . . .