Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oodles of News-les

I worked today!!! I got called yesterday afternoon, and before the school secretary could even get the words out of her mouth, I was practically screaming "Yes! Yes! I'll be there! What time When Where What do I do?!?" Today I subbed for a special ed aid, and it was great. I got to see three different classes and do lunch duty for both the fifth/sixth and seventh/eighth graders. The day went really quickly, I don't think I messed anything up too badly, and when I tripped down the stairs this morning, no one was around to see it (true story- and I was wearing flats!).

After work I had to run to the store to pick up some more sand paper for one of our last fall house projects. We have this great chair from La-Z-Boy but we didn't buy the matching ottoman because it cost an arm and a leg. We'd already spent our left arm and left leg on the chair, and we couldn't afford to give the right limbs, too. But really, the chair would be more comfy with some sort of foot propping system. We got an ottoman at Ikea for 20 euro and, in a fit of optimism, we decided we could sand, stain, and sew our own cushion for it to save some cash. I'm currently in a huge fit of regret over that decision.

It took us WEEKS to find something resembling batting with which to assemble a cushion. I went to store after store looking for ANYTHING that I could crumple up and sew some fabric around. N wanted us to use hamster cage shavings, but I put my foot down. We will not have rodent poop absorbers as our ottoman cushion.

Finally, last weekend N found some foam squares that he's since glued together in an odd configuration to get the size we need. We found fabric that suites our taste and will hopefully stand up to a few years of wear and tear. And we bought stain and sand paper to get the project started.

Monday night I began sanding the stupid thing, and I pushed myself to do a decent job. It was hard work, which I am kind of adverse to (I'm sure most of you know that about me). I've done some home improvement projects before, and they've turned out marginally well. I figured that if I could make a 20 euro ottoman look decent enough to want to keep in my living room, I could reward myself by eating a whole bag of peanut butter M and Ms.

Tuesday morning I got everything set up for the staining process. When I uncapped the jar, I discovered we'd purchased some gel stain goo. I spent an hour on the interwebs translating the text on the jar into English so I'd have some idea of how to use it. And then I forged ahead, figuring that with a few degrees behind me I could make that shit work. Huge mistake. Apparently an MSW does not a carpenter make. Oops.

I put two coats on (one of them applied at nightfall, so I figured that one might not look great...) and N's reaction when he got home? "Um...honey? Have you looked at this yet? It kinda looks like crap. No offense."

I sulked for awhile and then admitted he was right. Back to square one. Sanding AGAIN, hence the trip to the store today for more sandpaper. I spent this evening on the floor of our entryway, hand sander whirring away, stripping the stain off and sending what I can only assume are toxic German gel goo particles into the air around me. C'est la vie. At least I'm on my way to a better looking ottoman.

And finally, a huge scoff today: I picked up a magazine and marveled at a lovely looking tote made of leather. Perfect size, great color. At almost $300, it was WAY too expensive. My handbag limit is about $75. And the magazine's suggested use for said handbag? Great for work. OR TO USE FOR THE GYM. Who uses a $300 bag to house your sweaty socks and jog bra? Hubs uses a plastic grocery sack, which is why I love him. Scoff to that magazine.

3 comments:

Laura said...

YAYAYYYYY for subbing!!! One of the best jobs for us military spouse types :) I'm sure you were SO excellent today and everyone loved you!!!!!! And yayayay for your visitors this weekend . . . have so much fun . . . can't wait to see pictures from your adventures!!!

Anonymous said...

Obviously all of the boys in your class have major crushes. Home improvement projects add spice, don't forget it. Everything I have EVER started to do has been a major pain in the ass that I've failed at, miserably. But they were (every single one of 'em) way cooler than pointing a manicured finger at a picture and being like, "Ah Lok thot one, dahling, don't you concur?" I mean, please, right? We are so superior. I'm sure your's will turn out mahhhhhvelously.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay,
Congratulations on making it through the first day at work in Germany!
Glad to hear about how well everything is going. I miss you.
Love,
Grace