Sunday, August 22, 2010

The First of the Lasts

Whenever a move is breathing over my shoulder, I start thinking about doing things for the last time:

This is the last time I'll have dinner at Taryn's house in Phoenix
This is the last coffee I'll have at Lux
This is the last presentation I'll do as an intern
This is my last run at Garden of the Gods
This is the last time I'll see a rainbow in Germany
This is the last time I'll go to Tongeren on a Sunday morning to search for treasures

I'm not sure if this is fatalistic or pessimistic or realistic. Whatever it is, the thought of the lasts signals that I'm in moving mode.

Today I went to Tongeren, Belgium for my last Sunday flea market. Finding anything good requires you to leave your house at o'dark thirty in the morning and scour the rows and rows and squares and displays and shelves and shops of antiques/vintage goodies/plastic crap before the real crowds arrive. Worth it? Yes.

I saw the greatest sunrise this morning, and then as I pulled out of my parking lot a huge rainbow popped up. I also found some great things at Tongeren, things that my husband will hate because they don't actually serve a concrete purpose or perform any task or make our lives appreciably easier. They just look cool.


Above: my new and blue seltzer bottle

3 comments:

Strawberry said...

Beautiful! Wish I was there to join you. I am a complete and total sucker for an early morning treasure hunt (with coffee).

M said...

Apologize to N for me. I'm pretty sure you got that trinket gene from me, hence the fact that I have a selser bottle almost identical to yours!

subLyme said...

A. I am feelin for ya sister...

B. Amazing sunrise pict.!

C. That seltzer bottle looks completely functional to me. Nice find.