Monday, September 7, 2009

Autumnal

Sometime in the last two weeks it turned to fall here, and I couldn't be happier. Fall has always been my favorite season, and it brings back the most vivid memories- the smell of grass from the cross country trail, the feeling of fall sun on my face as I walked across campus, the joy of sitting outside on a weekend while sipping coffee, buying that new cozy sweater...


This year I'm really missing things. Nine years ago to the day (for some reason, my school always started the year on Labor Day) I began college in Colorado, and for years afterwards, the fall meant returning to my friends, beginning a new class, and seeing those mountains for the first time after a long summer away. I miss putting my books in a backpack and meeting my professor(s), and going to football games (only occasionally- our team was Division 3 and not that great...).


Here in Germany, the weather is fantastic today. Sunny, a little warmer than it has been, with just the right amount of breeze. I snapped a few picturs of sunflowers last week on my way to Spangdahlem. There are several fields full of thousands of these that seem to greet me each day as I pass. It's impossible to be in a bad mood when you see nothing but yellow on the hilltops. I'm so lucky.

3 comments:

The Redheaded Lefty said...

That sounds glorious. I know of this Fall mood---and I totally agree. Miss you here.

Krista said...

I was amazed at the sunflowers myself. Its my first fall here and my husband I went for a bike ride and passed alot of the sunflower fields. My nieghbor grows some in his garden as well.

Carolyn said...

I was going to write a post about loving fall too! i can't wait to experience it over here....although i'm a little frightened of the winter. come on over if you need a big a** pumpkin.