Sunday, September 27, 2009

Let's All Remain Calm

It was Saturday, and I missed the bus to the cross country meet. I drove all around creation and missed that thing by just a smidge. Totally my fault, and ended up working out anyway. Whatever. I made it to the meet (finally, after hours of driving around rural Germany and some army barracks), had a great time, reminicsed, cheered on a lot of high school runners, and then decided to drive a few more miles and hit up the new store in Ramstein. Huge mistake.

When I pulled in, there were signs pointing toward the "event." And traffic cops. And the first two parking lots that I pulled into were completely full. Those should have been my first three clues that I was about to embark on a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad shopping journey. Silly me, I forged ahead.

I'm sure I stopped dead in my tracks when I walked through the front doors. Or, rather, stopped dead in my tracks by bumping into the half million other shoppers right in front of me. I should have turned around right then and made a beeline for the exit, but I continued. I needed things!

I was so overwhelmed- there were rows and rows of candles, makeup, shoes, furniture, more purses for sale than I've seen in a year, exercise equipment, Halloween costumes. I stood for ten minutes smelling all the varieties of deodorant, then got paralyzed with choice and left without new deodorant. Figures. I seriously wandered around with a dazed look on my face for an hour, unable to wrap my head around all the possible choices, the big, square building full of things to consume, and the people. Oh, the people! At one point I had a bunch of things in my basket, but I put most of them back. It was all just too much. In the end I left with headbands, a picture frame, and a magazine.

I guess I'll have to do some acclimating before I return to the U S of A.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know the feeling. We're in Africa and on a recent trip to visit friends in Stuttgart we had a chance to go to the commissary on the military base. I was paralized. After all the items I'd dreamed of buying because I can't get them here, I left with two bottles of nailpolish.

Krista said...

Me, the hubs and a few guys from his shop headed out there on saturday. We ended up parking on the top level of the garage because it was soooo busy. It is freakin huge though. Unfortunately being with men I didnt get to take my time window shopping things so I havent really seen to much of the clothing department. Spent most of our time in the powerzone...... Definately worth going back to on a weekend (after the holiday's that is!)

Laura said...

What kind of store IS THIS? Don't you tell me it's the local BX . . . b/c I could never be paralyzed going into ours--you either want choice A or you leave empty handed :)
Your writing cracks me up . . . I hope you still found deoderant somewhere :)