What type of vacationer are you? Do you always choose a city so there is plenty to explore? Would you rather be at a beach where you can read and nap and swim all day? Does it have to be someplace where you can hike or bike or climb or ski? Do you choose the location based on one thing- a particular museum or restaurant or event?
I'm really lucky in that Hubs and I enjoy the same types of vacations, which is to say ALL of them. If I was tied down and forced to choose, I'd have to pick going to a city and spending days wandering around, ducking into boutiques, people watching in parks, and leisurely dining mid-afternoon (with a glass of wine, preferably). I love being somewhere new and getting a feel for how locals spend their days. And, of course, imagining myself moving there.
I also really love the beach, though. It feels so relaxing to just park myself in a chair (or hammock) with a book and do NOTHING. This was an especially attractive option when I was working 50 hours a week in Phoenix, which may be why our trip to the British Virgin Islands in 2011 ranks among my top 10 vacations.
Hubs is such a good sport since I'm usually the driving force behind our
itineraries and daily plans while on vacation. I'm my father's daughter
and like to have at least a rough outline, even if it is just wander aimlessly.
During a recent trip to Paris, Hubs tried to make me agree to let go
and decide on the spur of the moment what to do- which was fabulous for
half a day. Then I got all bent out of shape when we were getting a late
start to Versailles and I thought it wasn't worth it and watch out,
(near) tantrum in the Marais. We wound up going to a museum and then
waking up earlier the next day to catch an earlier train. My name is
Lindsay and I'm an optimizer with fairly robust Fear of Missing Out
(FOMO).
| Lotus Temple |
As I mentioned in the first post, planning a short trip to India was
overwhelming because there is so much to see and do and learn. I listed a few must-sees in Delhi and tried to calmly accept the fact that we couldn't get to it all. After our cooking class, I was up to dash out and begin absorbing the city, but I realized Hubs needed a bit more rest so we spent the hottest part of the day napping and ventured out just before sunset.
Delhi streets are busy- very busy. And chaotic- very chaotic. They make driving in Abu Dhabi look tame. We heard more than once (even before we left the UAE!) that you need three things on the road in India: good brakes, good horn, and good luck. So true. Everyone uses their horn in two ways: to warn of their presence and to (somewhat) politely ask other vehicles to get out of the way. As I'll mention later, all the trucks have Horn Please or Please Honk painted on the back, and some of the rickshaws do, too. I did notice a few cars with No Horn bumper stickers, so I wonder if there is a push to make the streets a bit less raucous. At any given intersection you can see drivers honking and, since that's a sufficient warning, pulling immediately into the street (without really looking).
Yes, it's terrifying but somehow, some way, it all works.
After refreshing, we grabbed an auto rickshaw and were off to see Lotus Temple. This was on my list after seeing photos from a friend from graduate school. I thought the design was so unique that I wanted to get a closer look.
Yes, it's terrifying but somehow, some way, it all works.
After refreshing, we grabbed an auto rickshaw and were off to see Lotus Temple. This was on my list after seeing photos from a friend from graduate school. I thought the design was so unique that I wanted to get a closer look.
| On the road- so close to other cars I could have reached out and opened their doors! |
Lotus Temple is one of seven Bahá’í Houses of Worship around the world. The space was beautiful and you can learn more about the Baha'i faith here. The aim of the building was to reflect the faith's simplicity and inclusivity. You probably know that the lotus flower is a prominent symbol in Indian art, religion, literature, and more. The building was finished in the late 1980s and sees thousands and thousands of visitors each day (arguably more than even the Taj Mahal). There's also a small museum on site for those who want to learn more about Baha'i teachings.
We were lucky to get a chance to go inside the temple, although no photography was allowed. The dome opens to a tall, vast, silent space encouraging people to meditate as they wish. I found this quote from an interview with the architect to be most interesting:
"It is important to note that the Bahá'ís do not have any clergy or rituals, and the Temple is reserved purely as a place of worship. In accordance with these principles, there are no sermons or rituals conducted in a Bahá'í temple. This is a place for prayer and meditation, which means communion between man and his Creator - God. Everybody can enter and say his or her prayers, but silently. There are also regular organised public services during which selections from the holy books of all religions are recited or chanted. A choir chants hymns to inspire the soul."
| Collecting our shoes after visiting the inside |
After appreciating the serenity of the Temple and its grounds, we found ourselves another rickshaw and rode to Hauz Khas Village, near our haveli. We took Tannie's recommendation and enjoyed dinner and local wine (who knew Indian wine was so good?) at Raaz. Our table overlooked some of the ruins, lending an otherworldly air to the meal and solidifying my fondness for the city.
We left and immediately after returning to Amarya, fell fast asleep.
We left and immediately after returning to Amarya, fell fast asleep.

3 comments:
Have officially added India to my bucket list thanks to your wonderful narratives! XOXO
I have not heard of this temple before, thanks for history lesson on it. I hope to get to India one day as well!!! So glad you loved your 10 day visit.
Linds, love your blogs! Your photos are amazing and your descriptions of where you've visited and how you felt are fun to read!
Post a Comment