Hubs is super busy so I've been spending my time getting to know the indie shops in my neighborhood. Somewhere or another I picked up a flier for a Craft Rave on Saturday, and thus my weekend of crafting was born.
But first:
This whiteboard lives in our kitchen, which is tres classy. Hubs uses it for studying and, as you can see, I also use it to present important information to The Council (read: the two of us). Above is the brief I prepared for N about our Phoenix bills. I was given an "overall excellent" for my preparation and execution.
Now, back to my crafting stories.
On one of my Sunday thrifting trips, I spotted a great jewelry hanger in a vintage store. It seemed simple enough, so I decided I would make one myself instead of spending $20 on a pre-made one. Plus, I would have lots of fun during the process, right?
Sort of. I found a frame ($6) at a thrift store, and I bought chicken wire ($8) at a hardware store. I spent hours cutting the wire to fit the frame, and then promptly ruined it the first time I used the staple gun. I used staples that were too long for the frame, and parts of it chipped. Although I liked that the frame's shabby look, my neuroses would never let me leave it chipped and less-than-perfect. I shelved the project until I could find another frame. I hate shelving projects, just so you know.
Yesterday, I found another frame that was suitable ($10) at a different thrift store. I ran home, cut the wire to fit the new frame, and began the stapling process. Viola! Jewelry hanger.
Total cost? More than $20. Damn.
In my head I know it's the holiday season. However, it's hard to feel like Santa will be riding his sleigh around the world in a few weeks when it's sunny and 70 degrees every day in Phoenix. Fifty is considered (and feels!) cold. I wouldn't exactly call this a complaint, but I would say that I miss winter weather (but only when I have no where to go and nothing to do and can curl up on the couch with a hot toddy and a book). In order to make our house seem a little more festive, I've tried to decorate. Since our belongings have yet to arrive, I put up a new strand of lights (which look more pathetic than cheery), and I bought a pointsettia at the farmer's market on Saturday.

2 comments:
Nice work on the jewelry hanger! Been to Metals Edge yet?
I am not worthy! This crafty gene did NOT come from me. Nor your cooking gene; orthe cleaning one either. Just what DID I contribute???????
XOXOXOX
Post a Comment