There are a lot of hitchhikers around here, which I find odd. It seems very far from a big city, and how do people end up stranded in Nowhere, Germany without a ride? This is, of course, coming from someone who hasn't thrown up a thumb and waited for a kind stranger to take pity. I know people - boy people - who have picked up hitches in the last few years, but it's not something that I would ever think of doing, even in Europe. Too dangerous, right?
I wonder - do they have a hard time finding rides, or is hitching still pretty mainstream over here? When N and I were returning from a weekend trip last fall, two young 20-somethings sitting next to us asked for a ride. We weren't going in the same direction, but we offered to give them a ride to the Autobahn entrance so they would have more luck. Turns out they didn't need us because they found other people willing to take them further, so maybe it's not a big deal in Germany.
What about you? Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?
Let’s Help This Reader Find a Slouchy Blazer!
15 hours ago

4 comments:
Yup - when I was in college, I made a point of picking up female hitchhikers. It seemed like a right-on-sister thing to do. I haven't seen one in a while, but in the right situation, I'd still do it. I say this knowing full well that it's not the safest thing in the world to do, though.
I've only hitchhiked a few times, ages ago. Now I'm way too old and cautious for that nonsense. It was considered a pretty normal thing to do when I loved in Scotland (*sigh*) almost 20 years ago.
HA! I have never done it but usually there are signs on the highways here that say DO NOT PICK UP HITCHHIKERS!!!!
Have never picked up BUT have used my own thumb, ages ago, to get from Florida to Clinton (with a male escort) and countless times in Israel in 1972 and Europe in 1973. Such a wild child in my youth!
Only picked up back country skiers who were on the bottom of the pass wanting more freshies. Of course I had J in the car, and it was a pretty mainstream deal. Also hitched a few rides this way...
Post a Comment