In my next life I'm going to be a professional jeweler. For now, I'll settle for Wednesday night classes at Harold Studio, just down the street.
I was running errands one Saturday and drove past a sign with a jeweler's saw on it. I've been casually looking for another class since I got back to Phoenix, but the best thing I could find is in Mesa, which is too far away for my liking. When I saw this sign, I nearly pulled a u-turn on a busy street to find out what was available, but my cooler head prevailed and I used The Google when I got home that afternoon.
A woman named Johanna, who is a professional jeweler/stone setter, opened Harold Studio last year. She does open studio hours, casting services, parties, and classes. I'm taking Jewelry I and she could not be more patient, kind, and willing to help with me and the rest of the class. Her studio is filled with fantastic tools and supplies that are available for use during class and open studio, so students don't have to set up the whole shebang at their homes. Who needs or can afford a dust hood at home?
It's so relaxing to do something totally different, to learn new techniques every week, to work with my hands. So often at work I'm reading, reading, reading and sitting in a chair all day. I love going back and forth from the bench to the soldering table to the hammering block.
Fair warning, friends and family: you should probably expect some mediocre, handmade jewelry for your next birthday!

4 comments:
YES! Bring it (them) on! Beautiful!!!!
M :-D
Looks awesome! So wish I could take the class with you. Glad you found this studio! Dig the rivet.. xoxoxo
I am so happy you found a studio to take classes at Linds. What a beautiful piece.
can't wait. Marj
Post a Comment